Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Couch Guy


Photo from  PAPERMAG

So I may have said I wouldn’t go looking for anyone online, but online is where I found him. Well, I wasn’t exactly “looking” since it wasn’t an online dating site. This situation was completely unexpected and through a little online site you may have visited: www.kijiji.ca .

How did I meet a guy on there? I was cleaning the clutter out of my place, furniture and all. I posted some things on Kijiji, one piece was my couch (Nope not the one in the above picture, I just like this one better.)  . I received two email requests; one was eager to see it that day, as he was moving. So I made arrangements for him to come by to view it.


He came, he saw, he paid me cash to hold it until the day his movers could pick it up, as simple as that. We chatted when he stopped by, like we were old friends and not strangers, but I never thought anything of it. We texted and later talked on the phone, mainly to just rearrange the timing of the couch pick up. He was nice; he asked about my son’s hockey (happened to be a topic when he was looking at the couch). 

Two days later, he showed up with the movers. Thinking nothing of it, I was in my pajamas (pj bottoms and a hoodie), hair was a mess, and no makeup.  As he was leaving with the last couch pillow in hand, he turned around and says “So … would it be inappropriate if I were to call you when things settle down and I’m moved in, to ask you out for a coffee?”  In my head I’m thinking, “Um, what?”

Totally flattered, especially with the fact I am standing there like I just rolled out of bed, I replied, “Not inappropriate at all, and yes, yes, of course, you can.“ Pretty sure my cheeks were blushing bright red with a ‘what just happened?’ I was in shock; someone actually just old school asked me out. See ladies! There are some great guys out there! I just didn’t know I had to sell my furniture until one showed up at my door in order to meet one. LMAO

He did call, about two weeks later. We went out for dinner at UNA. We chatted for hours. Another day we even had a date on “The” couch. LoL, no, not like that, just chilling, watching a movie. But ironic, don’t you think?

However, the catch … isn’t there always one? The day he bought the couch, he was moving out of his fiancée’s place. They had just broken up, bad timing. I have to say though, he was so straight up honest with me about how much he truly liked hanging out with me, and would still like to be friends. I totally understood, and I TRULY appreciate his honesty; I didn’t want to be a rebound anyway. 

(BOYS – LESSON #1: Be straight. Don’t leave a girl wondering. We’d rather know the truth, rather than be left guessing or hurt when we find out it was all lies or have been led on! Just sayin’.)

We have hung out ever since, as friends. We have a great time, every time. Our conversations go on forever and they are refreshingly intelligent conversations.  Honestly, I like having him as a friend, now that we have gotten to know each other over time. To be honest, I don’t think we would be suited for each other as a couple. Our lifestyles, our goals, don’t really match. But he is good company, and a good friend to have.
All in all, I love the fact that opportunities abound everywhere! And kudos to those men who have the balls to just ask a girl out! (Which by the way he apparently was nervous as crap when he did, but he did it.)

Where was the oddest place/situation you have met someone? 

2 comments: